Historic Portola Gardens Undergoes Major Renovations, Unique Setting Offers Seniors A True Sense of Home
SAN FRANCISCO–One of San Francisco’s most unique and oldest senior living communities, Portola Gardens recently underwent major renovations to restore the California landmark, bringing new life, heart and soul to the historic community. , all the effort is garnering more than just local attention. The extensive work on the community has afforded Portola Gardens a nomination for the prestigious SHN Architect and Design awards.
“The renovations not only updated and modernized the community but brought into focus the architectural details that make this community a piece of California history,” said Mark Cimino, CEO of CiminoCare. “All our renovations were done while maintaining the core historical aspects of this wonderful building. Portola Gardens now leads the way in value-based, quality care with this innovative community renovation.”
Located in the Garden District in San Francisco’s Portola neighborhood, the current structure was first built in the 1930s and has a long history of providing senior care to the area. Noted as one of the first senior care communities in California, the renovation project of the 38,000 square foot historical landmark has been a joint effort between Sentinel Real Estate Group, WHA Architects, and Nomad Design.
The carefully planned renovations to Portola Gardens are evident throughout the community. Extensive improvements were made to the common areas and resident rooms, as well as the exterior of this historic property. Modern care amenities were added. In all, over $2MM has been spent on the renovation to date. Renovations to Portola Gardens include:
- Boiler replacement and new separated boiler room
- Domestic water system replacement
- 1st and 2nd floors corridor makeover/renovation
- New exterior paint
- Roof restoration/reseal
- Resident room renovations
- Repaved front asphalt driveway
- Updated and enhanced landscaping including outdoor furniture, potted plants, pathway lighting and raised garden beds
- Additional site fencing
- Updated chapel, dining room, sun room and lobby areas
- New ADA ramp to access 2nd floor north wing
- Remodeling of several restrooms
- Updated corridor furnishings and Art
- Restored flag pole
- Added Elevator cab and Stanley Wander Guard System
- Radiator repairs & thermostats
- Fire alarm strobe devices
- New ADA ramp to Chapel Room on 1st floor
- Site fencing and paving
- New WI-FI infrastructure, routers, hotspots, wiring
- High speed fiber internet data feed
- Updated kitchen
- Expansion and reinforcement of patio deck
- Upgraded and relocation of administrative offices to 3rd floor
- Window glazing, cleaning and painting of window trims
Located at 350 University Street, Portola Gardens offers both assisted living and memory care support in a beautiful Colonial Revival building that fosters a strong sense of community in a place that feels familiar. Residents have access to private backyard areas, gardens, walking paths, a sunroom that is perfect for relaxing and reading, and living spaces that feel like home. Portola Gardens is committed to offering the best value for older adults who want to remain in San Francisco. As a mid-size senior living community, Portola Gardens cares for up to 74 residents, and offers both private and shared accommodations.
Portola Gardens is operated by CiminoCare, a Northern California based senior living management company currently operating 11 senior living communities. For more than 30 years, the Cimino family has provided consistent quality care to seniors living in each of their communities.